You’ve just learned about teaching English online and it has totally rocked your worldview. Turning your home into a classroom? Making upwards of $20 an hour teaching something you know very well to cute kids? Being able to work remotely—from anywhere—and maintain consistent income?
Teaching English online is revolutionizing the TEFL job landscape in great ways. We love that aspiring teachers from all over the globe (with a strong internet connection) can make a living sharing something they love. That’s why we’ve put together this handy cheat sheet of online teacher interview questions from four of the most respected companies in the biz: VIPKid, SayABC, Teach Away, and DaDa ABC.
Read on to learn REAL virtual teacher interview questions from these four incredible businesses and prepare to knock their socks off.
Popular online English teaching platforms’ unique interview questions
With the help of Glassdoor, we’ve put together a collection of actual virtual teacher interview questions from some of the most popular online English teaching platforms in the market.
VIPKid’s online teacher interview questions
VIPKid is one of the most popular online English teacher platforms. They boast over 100,000 teachers, 700,000 students, and nearly 5 million classes conducted monthly. It was voted as one of the top 10 best places to work in 2020 by Glassdoor, and new hires can expect to make up to $22 per hour.
Here are questions from real interviews to work at VIPKid:
- What age level have you taught prior?
- Tell me about your previous teaching experience.
- Have you worked in public schools?
- What is your history in education?
- What is your teaching background? Do you have a teaching degree? Are you a licensed teacher?
- Do you have a headset?
- What are your pay expectations?
- Are you available to commit to 7 1/2 hours of peak time scheduling each week?
- Conduct a Mock Class
SayABC interview questions for online teachers
SayABC is another well-loved online English teaching platform that hires native English speakers with bachelors degrees to work 40 minute lessons for about $20 USD. They’re well known for their interactive platform and flexible contracts (minimum three months).
Read on to learn a few key interview questions for working with SayABC:
- Tell me about your experience and education?
- Why would you like to work for us?
- What can you offer us?
- How would you teach a young child vs an older student differently?
- Tell me about yourself and what are your weaknesses?
- What are your qualifications?
- How would you discipline a child over the internet?
- How is classroom teaching different than teaching for ABC?
TeachAway online teaching interview questions
TeachAway hires for both classroom and virtual teaching opportunities. With offices in Canada, the US, and the UK, you can really feel a part of something international. TeachAway is unique in that it aggregates job openings from a variety of different companies, so don’t be surprised if you see some VIPKid offerings on their site, too!
- How would you teach a young kid who didn’t speak any English?
- How would a day in my class look?
- Where else have you applied for jobs? Have you heard back from any jobs?
- What is your design process?
- How do you handle multiple deadlines at a time?
- Why do you want to join us?
DaDa ABC digital teacher interview questions
DaDa ABC is based in China and has been in the business of teaching kiddos aged 4-16 English since 2013. Their requirements are less stringent than others, hiring individuals who have a TEFL certificate regardless of their degree or native English proficiency. Each class is one-to-one and you can earn up to $7 as a bonus per hour (on top of the standard $15-25 per hour).
Here are questions that online teachers interviewing with DaDa ABC have been asked:
- What makes you a good teacher?
- What is your experience with kids?
- Why do I like teaching?
- What other experience do you have in teaching English?
- Have you taught online before?
- How long have you been teaching?
- Who is your internet provider?
- Do you have a teaching certificate?
- Do you see yourself signing a 6-12 month contract?
Bonus: Your online English teaching interview toolkit
As you prepare for your upcoming interview, we wanted to share our resources to help you #nailit and land the job:
- The Must-Know Online ESL Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
- I took my TEFL online, how do I build confidence for the classroom?
- The Ultimate Guide to Teaching English Online
Make your online English teaching interview a cinch!
With this cheat sheet, you have all the intel necessary to successfully apply and interview at some of the best online English teaching companies in the world. Now go forth, blow them away, and get hired—you got this!
The post Interview Questions for Online Teachers from 4 Reputable Companies appeared first on Premier TEFL.